Published on Wednesday, 22 August 2012 10:31
Written by Jules
Write 5-10 of your favorite things about your community. Celebrate their uniqueness and be sure to tell us why those are your favorite things. The Chronically Awesome Community has so many great things about it that I could probably keep listing if given an infinite amount of time. Let's see if I can keep this sort and sweet. (oh ya because I am so great at that)
1. The Chronically Awesome Community is All Inclusive. We take "all comers". That means that if you have a chronic illness of any kind, you are Chronically Awesome. We believe that the common thread of living daily with a chronic illness of any kind is what holds us together, and that there is more that we have in common than you could possibly imagine. That provides us with so many more opportunities for support.
2. The Chronically Awesome Community first looks at what we CAN do. We pile on the list of accomplishments before ever considering that there is something limiting us. There is one Chronically Awesome support group on Facebook that starts their posts with "Today I was Chronically Awesome because..." and then lists all of the amazing things they did that day. I believe in listing those things with a hard stop at the end. List the amazing journey you took that day in spite of your chronic condition, with total disregard for the things that have been thrown in your path as speed bumps or even brick walls. We are Chronically Awesome today because...
3. The Chronically Awesome Community supports the work and goals of others in the community. Many of us are bloggers, podcasters, artists, and creators of beautiful craftwork. We support each others work in any way we can. We read each other blogs and discuss them, we listen to the podcasts, we often will purchase the handiwork of fellow community members. It is a sort of "think locally" mentality brought to a digital community. We are always there for each others projects. We want to guarantee the success of each member because we so often find doors slammed in our faces out there in a world that does not understand chronic illness.
4. 24/365 Unconditional Love and Regard: We cherish each other and are there no matter what time it is. That is the beauty of online support. And when you are dealing with people in both physical and mental pain, you will often find people awake at all hours of the night to talk to when you need them. The Chronically Awesome Community is always standing guard for it's own, ready to help anyone and everyone in their time of need.
5. Positivity Overdrive: Life is a gift. Even when you are given what you think is the coal in your stocking, there are gifts to be had. I know for me, and others in the Chronically Awesome community, we have found more about the blessings of life since our illnesses have forced us to slow down, and take a look at the world, and the people in it. In a strange way, to me and I would bet to some other members of the Chronically Awesome community, we would say that even though we have been cursed with these conditions, there is a bit of a blessing hidden in there too. That puts us in positivity overdrive. We find the blessing, we find the positive, we find the gifts, and we look for the positive in as much as we can. Does that mean we never whine and bitch about how it really sucks and as awful to be sick? No, we are not nuts... but we find ways to look for support, to lift each up when things are bad, and to bring things around to a place that is, well, as good as it's going to be.
So, I will leave you with 5, and hope that you will seek out the tag #chronicallyawesome on twitter and start engaging with a few of us. I think you will find your own way to make this list much longer. I think you will like us.